Monday, October 12, 2009

Arthur

Today I picked Aurora up early and took her to work for an advanced viewing of an episode of the hit PBS show, Arthur, featuring Lance Armstrong. In this episode, the lunch lady is diagnosed with cancer, and it's all about the different ways the kids cope and talk about cancer with their friends and family. Of course, one of the kids ends up emailing Lance, and he comes out to ride his bike and talk with her.


Aurora's attention span didn't last quite as long as I'd hoped, but hey - any excuse to spend the afternoon with my girl.


I spent some time during the car ride home talking to her about who Lance is, and telling her that her daddy's a cancer survivor too. I fully realize she's way too young to understand any of it, but I figured it was the thing to do!

5 comments:

Kate MacKinnon said...

Very cool! It looks like no one else brought their kids in...What direction did Aurora's attention go in?

Julian said...

I like Lance's ears! Is this an episode that will be mixed in with all the tv shows, or more of a PSA to be showed in schools and such?

Amber said...

It's an actual episode which will air everyday next week! We also have accompanying materials and LIVESTRONG at School www.livestrong.org/school curriculum which can be used in the classroom.

It was a "family-friendly" viewing, so I figured SOMEBODY else would go get their kids. Alas, no! Aurora's attention... well, it went to sitting in various chairs, asking for more snacks, and climbing all over me and Bailey.

Nancy said...

Well, you have to start somewhere. Maybe Aurora didn't get much out of the show, but I'm sure it was an enjoyable time for her to be with her mother and her mother's friends.

Turpin Family said...

So awesome!