Thursday, October 1, 2009

This Week

What a week it's been. Aurora and I both woke up sick Monday morning and had to stay home from work and school. Aurora recovered quickly and went back to school on Tuesday, while I worked from home. It was good that I could stay home and focus, as I had one very cool project to complete: setting up our account and listing 11 one-of-a-kind signed LIVESTRONG golf bags on eBay. Yes, I'm now the official eBay seller of the Lance Armstrong Foundation! I also tweet as @livestronghq, and I must say that those are two very fun parts of my job.

Unfortunately, Aurora and I were both too sick to make it to Jack's Sweet Life Celebration on Monday afternoon, and I've been thinking about it all week. While we were in Florida, I got a text from my friend Kristen, letting me know that they'd had a terrible family tragedy. Kristen and Dan lost their sweet happy healthy son this weekend, completely unexpectedly. Jack had just turned 2, and I can only imagine the pain they are enduring and will continue to feel for the rest of their lives. He was just a cute, smart, energetic toddler - so much like our little Aurora.

I met Kristen when I was 8-months pregnant and Jack was 6-months old. When you're pregnant, people tend to give strange advice and often say things that are flat out unhelpful, like, "Better get a lot of sleep now because you won't be sleeping once she's born!" or "You have no idea what you're in for." Kristen was so excited for me, and simply told me that parenthood was the best thing ever. Both on her blog and in person she was constantly talking about how lucky she was, how much she loves and is thankful for her husband and sweet children.

Kristen has been such a positive influence in my life, and I certainly have not taken a moment with Aurora for granted since hearing this sad news.

6 comments:

Nancy said...

Glad you and Aurora are both better. Did Chuck manage to survive without getting sick too?

The worst part of my job is when I hear of a baby or child that has died. I think that losing a child has got to be unbearable pain for any parent. I am so so sorry about Jack. Please give my sincere condolences to Kristen and Dan and family.

Unknown said...

Glad you are all feeling better. I am so sorry to hear about Jack. My condolences to the family. Makes me want to go home and hug my kids. Just reminds me that we never know what tomorrow will bring.

Turpin Family said...

You are so sweet to write such sweet words about my family. Thank you Thank you!

natalie said...

I am so, so sorry to hear about Jack... his family will be in my thoughts and prayers. I can't imagine what they are going through.

Anonymous said...

We're both almost over our colds - glad to hear you're feeling better. We really enjoyed seeing you. We were so shocked and sorry to hear about Jack, and our hearts go out to his family.

Cheezhead Robin said...

Official E-Bay seller, wow, what a perfect job for you! We know you are great at selling online in addition to all of your other talents.

Sorry to hear about your friend's child. Sounds like you have a very special bond with the family.