Thursday, October 22, 2009

Poor Baby

Today was Aurora's 18-month well baby visit. It started out just fine... we read books and colored while filling out papers about developmental milestones and waiting for the doctor. She weighed in at 22 lbs 8 oz (25th percentile), and her length was 31 1/4 inches (50th percentile). Perfect!


Then she got two shots and had to have blood drawn again. Drawing blood from a toddler is just not fun. They did a good job and it went pretty fast, but she kept crying "all done! all done! hold you! hold you!" over and over, while I squeezed tight and kissed her saying "I am holding you, and we're almost done."


I knew she was upset during the drive to daycare, and that she cried when I dropped her off - but I didn't expect to get a call an hour later telling me that she hadn't stopped crying. I asked them to bare with her and just try giving her lunch and a nap - and if she wasn't back to normal after that, I'd go get her. She was indeed better after the nap, but it was a tough day for the Rooster (and the Mama!).

4 comments:

Julian said...

Glad you guys are doing better. I know how tough it is to drop a sad kid off at day care! By your 3rd kid you will be like, "this is how it goes, just get over it kiddo!" I am sure the nurses don't enjoy that job either, infact I bet they totally hate it, but if they did find something in the blood counts, you would be thankfull to have the information.

Nancy said...

What kind of shots did she get? Is she going to get the Swine Flu shot? There is a lot of controversy over it but a lot of doctors are saying young children should get it because the Swine Flu is affecting children more than older adults (like me). I don't plan on getting the shot myself, but I don't know what to think about it for young children.

Anonymous said...

Aw, poor Aurora! Doctor visits are no fun.

Cheezhead Robin said...

I still hate going to see doctors, too, LOL!