Sunday, February 15, 2015

I just ran a Half Marathon

Valentine's Day was barely a blip on our radar as this weekend was the Austin Half Marathon. I haven't made a bucket list but if I had, a running event would not have been on it. When I registered back in September it was simply because I qualified for a free entry! But I decided if I was going to do it, I was going to do it right. I read a ton of running books and they all said the same thing - the glory isn't in crossing the finish line, it's in all the work leading up to the minute you cross the start line. I made a training plan and stuck with it, and when my alarm rang at 5am this morning I was ready. The activities actually kicked off yesterday with a Team LIVESTRONG brunch and packet pickup.


In case you can't decipher Aurora's awesome motivational sign, it says "I am not going to lose! I will be in the middle!" A few weeks back she asked me if I was going to win the race. I said no. Then she asked if I was going to be the last one to finish, and I said no - I'd be right in the middle. Clearly she took that to heart! The speaker in the third photo is Bart Yasso, Chief Running Officer at Runner's World Magazine. And here we are at the Marathon Expo. Aurora loved being part of it all.


This morning I carpooled with my friend Kelsey and we had fun waiting for the start. There were 15,000 people registered and the port-o-potty lines were LONG, but everything moved quickly and soon we were on our way!


My family was waiting at the end and I sort of think they were more bewildered by the crowds than proud of me, but I was just glad they came. Kelsey's mom got a pic of me just before crossing the finish line. I know the professional photos may be better but WOW, what a great moment!


My goal time was 2:15, and I came in about a minute and a half under. I'm pretty pleased with the result! Earlier this week I compared the whole thing to pregnancy... when you first sign up, you have no idea what you're getting yourself into and feel a bit nervous for the road ahead. As you start training you begin to feel more and more prepared, until the day comes when you just want to do it already! The whole thing was exhausting and awesome - though, at the end of the Half Marathon all I got was a finisher medal. Ah well, at least I'll sleep well tonight!

PS: If I make a bucket list in the future, it just may include more running events.

3 comments:

Ellen said...

Congratulations! Great job preparing and great time - woo hoo!

Cheezhead Robin said...


Congrats to Superwoman! You take after your parents love for running, and perhaps someday Aurora will too.

Julian said...

What a post! Bucket lists, motivational speeches, goal setting, goal breaking, and more! Yay for the middle! Nice going Amber.