Thursday, January 7, 2010

Read It

Aurora has always loved books. Instead of playing with toys, she brings books over to us constantly. Now that she's a talker she says "read it," or "here, read this mommy" as she hops into my lap to settle in for a story. I'm lucky in that she usually puts each book away before grabbing the next one (well, sometimes she just throws them on the floor), and her attention span has gotten long enough to sit still for an entire book (okay, sometimes she leaves halfway through and brings a different book over instead). I'm also very thankful that Chuck usually comes home just before Aurora's bedtime, and she LOVES having daddy read to her before bed.


I must admit, Chuck and I are both getting tired of most of the books we have. Aurora has actually started memorizing certain books and can repeat and anticipate each page, which is awesome. But we've started pawning off other books on each other... "here, give this one to daddy, he can read it to you." I decided we needed more books to choose from, and found a sweet deal on eBay for 9 books (mostly Dr. Seuss) for only $14. They arrived today and Aurora brought them to me one at a time until I'd read all 9 to her. Of course, she still needed us to read all her bedtime books to her as well.


Not that I'm complaining - I love reading to Aurora. But I'm looking forward to the day she can read to us!!!

7 comments:

Julian said...

Good for Aurora! You could always let her check books out at the library, then when you and Chuck are dead tired of them, they have to go back. Good to have a few favs around. Lillie still brings over stacks of books for us to read...but now she reads half of them to us.

Amber said...

You're totally right - I'm always afraid we'll get the library books mixed up or lost (or damaged) and will forget to return them. But we do go to the library and read books while we're there :)

Cheezhead Robin said...

Wow, Aurora is really smart, perhaps a future genius. Maybe you can get her started on audio books. Do they have them for children?

Amber said...

They do make audio companion CD's for many books, but as long as we'll read aloud to her, I don't think she needs them. She loves looking at the pictures, turning the pages, seeing the words ("ABCs"), identifying animals and objects, making silly noises, and interacting with us while reading.

Nancy said...

Glad she likes books. Studies show that children that are read to at an early age start reading sooner and do better in school. No matter what techo people tell you, reading is still the basic indicator of how well someone will do in school. I noticed that among my friends, those who read a lot were better writers and communicators, too. As far as I am concerned, nothing can replace a good book. Just see how Dr. Suess's books and many other children's books have remained popular for decades even in this age of technology.

Amber said...

I saw a special on TV that said by the time they go to elementary school, girls are on average a full grade level above boys - even in math and science. But by junior high boys have caught up and eventually surpass girls.

Anonymous said...

What a good little reader Aurora is! We love Dr. Seuss too!