Saturday, April 26, 2008

Sleeping Cutie

Okay, so we’re going to call this a milk coma. If you are a mom and have experienced this phenomenon, any friendly advice you can offer is greatly appreciated, as this whole nursing thing is new to us…


Basically, once Rora’s been feeding for, oh 8-10 minutes, she totally conks out! I can tickle her feet, pump her arms and legs, rub her cheeks, burp her, change her diaper – sometimes she is just out for the count! I know she’s only a week old, but my goal is to give her full feedings, and our pediatrician said feedings should last 20-30 minutes. She also said Aurora was gaining weight fine, and I don't think milk production is an issue – so maybe her tiny tummy is just filling up fast.

I might check out the "Baby Bistro" breastfeeding support group at Seton, just to make sure we’re doing everything right. Until then, any tips or tricks in general are welcome!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi there,
Sometimes a wet washcloth across the feet works, too. Sounds a little barbaric but it wakes them up, that's for sure. I think, though, that you should let a baby sleep so for the first few weeks of her life if she needs to conk out after just one side, she should. She'll wake up and want to nurse on the other side soon or you can pump it and have Chuck feed her. As long as she's growing fine, the there's no magic number or set time period for nursing.

Anonymous said...

Hey Amber,
The Cheezheads actually have an answer for you. We talked to our server at Infusinos (a mother of 3 with one on the way). She said there is no real magical number of minutes; 10 can be good. She noted that the milk gets heavier after 10minutes, which can make the baby fall asleep. Her son was a 10 minute baby. The Cheezheads