Sunday, March 20, 2016

Spring Break Part II

I am a planner. I enjoy planning all of our activities and meals each day at work, home, and over weekends and holidays. This weekend most of my plans seemed destined to fail, but of course, I always have a contingency plan. Friday morning as we headed down to San Antonio for the Alamo 13.1 Half Marathon, I was recovering from a fever and sore throat and wasn't sure if I could run. When we got to SA our plan was to head directly to the zoo before checking in to the hotel, but the zoo was so crowded that all the parking lots were full! After weighing our options, we turned around and headed to Kiddie Park, a place we'd heard about but had never been, and it was clear from the moment we arrived that we'd made the right choice. It wasn't crowded at all so we bought the kids unlimited ride wristbands and they just ran from ride to ride together! Chuck said they probably enjoyed it more than Disneyland because they didn't have to wait in lines and the rides were all made for them.


We grabbed a quick lunch then headed to our hotel. I realize this is probably way too many photos for a normal blog post, but how cute are my little travelers?


As soon as we were in our room, Aurora started exploring every corner and must have told us at least a dozen times how much she loved it. At one point she mumbled under her breath "I'm going to do very well here." Ha! The kids turned on the TV and we relaxed and settled in before heading out to enjoy the hot tub. They both slept great.


The next morning we considered trying the zoo again, but it was cold and I still wasn't feeling great, so we decided to take a driving tour of the San Antonio Missions. It's something I've always wanted to do but has never made it on to our itinerary.


Aurora pretended that she'd built the Missions in Minecraft using the Greek Mythology texture pack. At one point Chuck warned her to watch out for a slippery mud puddle, and without hesitation she said "I know, I put it there." Clark mostly just shouted "NO! NO MORE MISSIONS!"

Later we headed out to the Riverwalk. We were planning on taking the boat tour, but honestly - in all our years of visiting SA I have NEVER seen the Riverwalk as crowded as it was this weekend. The lines for the boat tour were ridiculous and just walking was nearly impossible. We headed up to street level and went out of our way to find a less crowded path to the Rainforest Cafe. They said it would be an hour and a half wait, but they called us after 30 minutes and we had a great time. The last time we ate at the Rainforest Cafe, Aurora was about Clark's age and the tiger scared the living daylights out her. Chuck tried to recreate the scene with Clark, but the kid just sat back and enjoyed the show.


I was exhausted and my throat was still hurting when I went to bed that night. I didn't sleep well at all, so it was some sort of miracle when I woke up feeling fine! I brewed some coffee, hugged the kids and headed out into the cold dark morning to join a few thousand runners at the Alamo. Honestly, the weather was perfect and the miles just ticked away almost effortlessly. The flu was no match for my training! I finished in 2:07, just a couple minutes shy of my PR from the 3M.


All in all, I'd say the weekend went better than I could've planned!

2 comments:

Ellen said...

Yes, we're all living in a Minecraft world created by Aurora. We accept it. Glad the San Antonio trip went well!

Cheezhead Robin said...


Glad the weekend turned out well for the whole family. Being flexible always helps, LOL! Holiday weeks can be very crowded with all the kids out of school.