There are several words of advice my dad has given me that I'll always remember.
1. Treat checks like cash. He told me this when I opened my first bank account in 1988, before credit cards were even an option for me, but it definitely still holds true today. If you can't afford it, don't buy it!
2. Never take nude photos. I firmly believe that every parent should give this advice to every teenager - especially now that kids all have smart phones with cameras. I'm not sure how my dad learned this lesson, but I for one have taken it to heart.
3. Don't dress for yesterday's weather. Dad just gave me this advice recently, and it's never been more true than this week in Austin, TX. Sunday and Monday we had temps in the 70's and 80's, and now it's below freezing.
It's so cold that Texas has implemented rolling blackouts to save energy, which caused Aurora's school to close. Not that we're contributing to any energy savings today. Our jobs are both open for business, but we're all home with the heater, TV, and computers on. We did both work today and Aurora got to spend a little time at each of our offices, but it still feels kind of like a snow day. Don't worry dad, I'm not wearing my flip-flops!
I do hope to impart many memorable words of wisdom to Aurora as she grows up. Post a comment with your best advice (or the best advice your parents gave you), so I can add it to my list. Though, I'm not sure you can top my dad...
13 comments:
The two biggest pieces of advice I have that shape how I approach any task are: "Never do anything half assed" and "Shit or get off the pot." Yeah... My mom likes to swear. :)
We have that same weather-- a couple of days ago it was in the 70s and now it's in the low 30s and sleeting, with a strong wind-chill. Your dad's advice was very good, especially the second axiom. The only advice my father gave (that I remember or paid any attention to) was, don't go walking down the deserted train tracks. My mother's advice was that we should always rely on our inner resources. Oh, yes, she also said don't expect employment to be fun ... if it was fun, why would they pay you to do it? I cite that one all the time. love, susanna
Yes, it is funny how some people feel that during a particular time of year they should wear shorts, sandals, etc. no matter how cold it might be.
A Cheezhead dude, down in Dallas for the Superbowl, was shown wearing sandals (no socks), shorts & T-shirt, while standing outside in a ticket line. When asked why he was dressed for summer weather, he replied that he was expecting summer weather there, so didn't bother to bring any warm clothing.
Those of us who live by Lake Michigan know how weather can be much colder by the lake during the summer when winds come from across the lake. In the meantime, people coming up from Chicago or the suburbs don't bring warm clothing & freeze when they get up here. We always get a good laugh about that, LOL.
Anyway, your dad has some great advice. I would add always check the local weather forecast or the Weather Channel online before driving any distance from home.
Cute photo of Little Amber & Dad!
My father's best advice was "take
typing class." And I using it right
now. My mother's strongest advice was
"Don't let boys come over when you are
babysitting."
I love the picture of you and Robert.
love, Sally
I'll have to disagree a little with Chad on his advice (But then maybe some people need different advice depending on their personalities. I've always been somewhat of a perfectionist and that sometimes stops me from doing things.) I've always held to the saying, "If something is worth doing it's worth doing even poorly." That's gotten me to do a lot of things I wouldn't have even tried and eventually I've done them well.
I was wondering if the "cold spell" was hitting you too. So it has. Do you have any snow? We don't but it has been really cold, colder than when you were here. So much of the country has been hit by snow and cold. I'm just glad we don't have to dig ourselves out from under 10 feet of snow.
Speaking of cold, we went up to Jerome last evenin and about froze our "you know whats" off.
Lets see what I remember right off the top of my head: 1. Don't aim your golf ball at trouble. 2. Look at the outside line of the road when driving at night and headlights are coming at you. What am I always telling my kids these days...Get yourself totally ready (for school, soccer, dance, whatever) before you start goofing off.
Sally & Susanna- now I see where my dad gets it. Your parents were full of good advice!
I just remembered something my Grandpa Sandler used to tell me - back when I was playing the cello. He said: Practice doesn't make perfect. Perfect practice makes perfect. I'm not sure Nancy will agree, but that's okay :)
My father always used to tell me, "There is a right way and a wrong way to do everything!" Of course, I still went ahead and did things my own way.
I love those two pictures! I remember taking that bottom one.
I love that picture of you and me. Now if I could only remember my own advice and not automatically dress for yesterday's weather.
I don't know if there are canals in Austin. Growing up (through 3rd grade) in Utah, there were canals, and I remember them teaching us in school: "Dippy Duck says, 'Stay away, canals are not the place to play.'" Then there was Smokey the Bear who says still today, "Only you can prevent forest fires." These are the lines that I recall specifically. Generally, a good rule of thumb: don't lie to your mother; as a teen and young adult especially, don't go out alone without telling someone where you are going, and whether you believe it or not you're not invincible. Appreciate life. Love you guys!
Katie
Post a Comment