I've been collecting buttons and stickers for Aurora for about a year now - little mementos for her baby box so that she can go back years from now and see that all this happened the year she was born. She attended her first Obama rally when I was 8-months pregnant, accompanied us to vote when she was 6-months old, and now at 9-months Aurora's America will be led by President Obama.It is my sincere hope that Aurora grows up in a country and world that is tolerant of all people, regardless of their race, religion, or sexual orientation; that she only reads about those things in history books and perhaps sees it on old youtube re-runs of Jerry Springer, but can't quite imagine how a world like that ever existed in the first place...
Perhaps all today really signifies is a new direction from the last 8-years, and quite honestly, that's good enough for me! But I am not alone in hoping that it means more.
8 comments:
I guess we can dream of a perfect, tolerant world. However, that doesn't change the fact that there are people who hate our country for no other reason than we are tolerant of different points of religious views. I don't think a change in administration is going to change that. I just hope our new president is tough enough on those who want to destroy us and is able to keep this country safe. I want him to succeed in that area. I would love to be proven wrong and hope a new age of real peace and real tolerance is at hand.
Well said, Amber. I hope for the same.
Yay for the change coming as Aurora joined our world! I definitely agree that we have chosen a potentially very good leader. We just need to remember that change cannot be accomplished by a leader alone. People like Martin Luther King Jr., Susan B. Anthony, and Alice Paul lead movements for change in this country and affected change with the help of many. We must all consider ways that we can affect change in our world -- whether that involves simple things like recycling and conserving resources, or bigger things like generosity of time/money/home/spirit as we get involved in our communities as President Obama talked about. We get very involved in our own worlds, and it's easy to be consumed by our own irritations and self pity. It takes effort to set that aside and look at the bigger picture. The little things have been easy for me to do -- I'm working on stepping up my efforts in the bigger sacrifices.
That picture is too cute!
We have high hopes for the country and the world with Obama and Aurora in it.
Exactly Katie - this is so much more than just the administration - it's about the American public banding together, feeling hopeful, wanting to contribute and step up to the plate. How we feel about our country and what we do to hold ourselves accountable for our own actions makes every bit of a difference (if not moreso) than any policy. If Obama can inspire us to think and act at that level where before we felt hopeless and aggrivated - good things will come of it!
I hope we can all begin to understand how connected we really are. With great power comes great responsibility.
The Cheezheads are proud to be Americans again. I remember when I was growing up that people of any political party were able to share viewpoints. People viewed a variety of media to form their opinions. It's been very depressing with a bully in the White House who wouldn't consider other opinions or facts.
We are quite impressed with the bi-partisan efforts of our new president, and a real determination to get our country back on track.
It is refreshing to see so many citizens joining together to elect a new leader. Yes, we must continue to do our part to support Obama in his efforts, and keep all elected officials accountable for their actions.
Amber & Chuck are great role models for Aurora. It's such an exciting time for her to be growing up.
Support for Obama comes from a variety of ages. One of my business colleagues posted photos on his Facebook page showing cellphone photos from his 70 year old dad's trip to the inaugural ceremony. He bicycled 50 miles from Virginia to view the event. I guess Aurora is one of his youngest fans, LOL!
Post a Comment