Sunday, October 26, 2008

Voting with pink eye

Today Chuck and I pre-voted at the Bee Cave City Hall. Aurora wanted to cast her ballot, but I told her she'll have to wait until the 2028 presidential election. Until then, she'll have to settle for a sticker.

By the time we voted, I'd already had a pretty eventful day. This morning I woke up with pink eye. I don't think I've ever had pink eye before, but last week at daycare Carole told me that Adelina had it and her eye was swollen and goo'ed shut. She didn't seem overly concerned, so when I awoke with a swollen gooey eye, I knew what it was and stayed pretty calm. I was (and still am) afraid of spreading it to Aurora and Chuck, so I made an appointment at Austin Regional Clinic right away. The doctor said pink eye is most often viral and is basically like having a cold in your eye - it'll go away by itself and there's not much you can do. He did give me some antibiotic eye drops which may help clear it up faster.

I'd also like to mention that I woke up with a sore throat too, and am feeling pretty crummy overall. I've read that I should keep breastfeeding because I'm passing along tons of antibodies to keep Aurora from getting sick, or at least help her fight it faster if she does catch it. So far, Aurora's doing fine - but needless to say, we're monitoring the situation and washing our hands a lot around here!

4 comments:

Cheezhead Robin said...

We are also considering voting early, perhaps tomorrow. The village clerk says over 70 people per day have been voting early. I think the polls may be overly crowded on election day, when voting errors or violations can easily occur. You are providing a great example to Little Aurora. Hope you feel better soon.

Nancy said...

Hope you have a mild case of the pink eye and it clears up soon. Yes, washing hands is important all the time, but especially when ill. I'm sure Aurora will do just fine. Nancy

Anonymous said...

I wish you lived closer so my mom and I could come take care of you. I hope you feel better soon. Kisses to Aurora from my mom, dad, and me!

Amber said...

I too wish you lived closer and could come take care of us... we could use it!