Thursday, March 5, 2015

Snow Day!

Yesterday the forecast called for temps in the low 30's with ice and snow, so - as you would expect from Austin schools - they cancelled classes. This morning we woke up to dry roads and by 9am the sun was shining, but hey, we had the day off. I had Clark's 2-1/2 year well child check up scheduled for tomorrow morning but decided to switch it to this afternoon, which was BRILLIANT because everybody else cancelled their appointments! There was no wait. Clark still had time to identify all the vehicles on the wall.


I told him we were just going to show the doctor that he's a big boy! As it turns out, he's sort of a little guy... 2'11" puts him in the 23rd percentile for height, and at 24 lbs 10 oz he's only in the 3rd percentile for weight. The doctor wasn't concerned and she gave him a clean bill of health. No shots today, either.

While I was talking to the doctor, Clark sat next to me on his hands and knees and said "I a dog! Doggy say woof woof!" He's such a silly boy and everyday he's speaking more clearly and using his imagination more. I took his shoes and socks off the other day and he said "I wearing my toes now!" 

So, we survived the anticlimactic snowmageddon 2015, and the 10-day forecast calls for sunshine and highs in the 60's and 70's. Honestly, I wouldn't mind a real snow day! 

2 comments:

Ellen said...

Clarkie is doing just great! Good idea to use the "snow day" for his doctor appointment. Well, the schools had to err on the side of caution.

Cheezhead Robin said...


The "close or not to close" decision is a frequent question in Cheezland & Chicago. Some parents get upset because they have to find alternative activities for the kiddos. And sometimes we don't get the snow or sub-freezing conditions as forecasted. But when we do get those conditions, it is usually better to stay off the roads. Kids freezing at bus stops can also be a problem.

I have a friend that teaches MBA courses at the UI-Chicago who had to teach on a very snowy night. On her way to the train station, she slipped & fell in a huge pile of snow. Fortunately a guy shoveling snow was able to help her get up.