During my sabbatical I stopped playing games on my phone and started reading books. Real books, Kindle books, lots of books. My favorite genre used to be young adult fiction but these days I'm more into historical romance, so I decided to read Gone with the Wind. I put it on hold at the library not realizing it was 1472 pages - definitely one of the thickest books I've read! If it were published today I'm sure it would be a trilogy. Regardless, I loved it and finished it in just over a week. Afterwards I found out that a local museum was going to have a Gone with the Wind exhibit to commemorate the 75th anniversary of the film. When I heard, I had a conversation with Aurora that went like this:
Me: Aurora, remember that book I told you I was reading?
A: You mean the one about the Civil War?
Me: Yes! Well, they made a movie about it, and a museum nearby is going to have an exhibit with pictures and storyboards and letters and dresses from the movie!
A: Well mommy, I would be interested to go to that with you.
So, today we went! My mom and dad have been gone in Florida for the last month or so, but they came back this week and were more than happy to come along.
I think the exhibit would be awesome no matter who you are, but it was especially cool after just reading the book and watching the movie. This has been a hard act to follow so if you have any book recommendations, please leave them in the comments. And if you happen to be in the Austin area, stop by the Harry Ransom Center and check it out!




7 comments:
The exhibit was awesome - we had fun seeing it with you!
I recommend all of Leon Uris' books and also anything by Herman Wouk. Molly
Wow, I've never heard of either of those authors, but they get great reviews! I've definitely added them to my list - thanks Molly!
I would definitely start with Leon Uris' historical novel Exodus, then Trinity, Mila 18, QB VII and then Armageddon.
For Herman Wouk: Start with The Winds of War and then the sequel War & Remembrance. Yes, they look long but are riveting. And then of course his great The Caine Mutiny and The Caine Mutiny Court Martial.
I believe once you start one of Uris' or Wouk's books you will not be able to put them down.
As often happens the books are better than the movies they made from the books.
Molly
I love that book. it does take a while. nowadays I read at my lunch hour, and I read fiction like it's poetry so it is really slow going. some of my recent favorite writers are carl hiaasen, richark katrovas and rhodesia jackson (currently). love, susanna
I'm not into reading books, but love to read about travel destinations online, LOL.
I read Gone with the Wind many years ago,but it is still one of my favorites. I would have loved to see the museum. Glad you posted some pictures from the exhibit.
Post a Comment