Sunday, August 21, 2011

Three Days

Aurora's school closed Friday for a teacher workshop day, so once again I had a forced 3-day weekend. These things stress me out - especially when work is as busy as it is now - but with help from volunteers and co-workers (and a little working from home), I was able to get caught up and enjoy the time off.

We did go to school for a few minutes on Friday to meet Aurora's new teachers and see her new classroom, and were pleased to find that many of her good friends are moving up to the Fireflies with her. Afterwards, we headed to the library for a free showing of Toy Story 3 complete with popcorn, lemonade, animal pillows, and a few of Aurora's friends from the Fireflies class!


On Saturday we were off to the circus. A couple years ago we took Aurora to the Shrine Circus up in Cedar Park, but this time it was Barnum & Bailey's at the Frank Erwin Center, which was (in my opinion) a better show and a better venue. I just found out they were in town and ended up with cheap seats in the very back row - but we got to hang out on stage for a little while during the pre-show. 


I would've thought Aurora's favorite part was probably the elephants, or maybe the cool horse toy we bought at intermission, but - after the circus we went to a party where Aurora told Bailey and Laura that her favorite part was "going potty." Yup, that's my girl.


There are no pictures from today (what!?!?!) but it was a great day. I always say that I'd never make it as a stay-at-home mom, but after today I think it may be mostly because weekends are so short that I never have a chance to just relax when I'm at home. Today - day three - was relaxed. Chuck had to work all weekend but we went to breakfast together - then Aurora and I went to the gym, did a little food shopping, laundry, cleaning, put up Aurora's tent and just spent the afternoon playing and doing puzzles. No TV, no plans, just a day off - just what I needed. I'm not saying I want to stay home, but I am already planning more 3-day weekends (and short vacations) for the very near future.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, you packed a lot into that long weekend! Aurora looks like she's getting taller. Nice circus pix!

Cheezhead Robin said...

Really cool photos of Aurora enjoying the circus, in addition to her potty stops, LOL. She seems to like everything, and her parents are great to help her experience so much at a young age. How tall is Aurora now?

Amber said...

I think she's just over 3 feet tall, just a tad bit taller than when we last measured her in April. But, she's definitely getting leaner. Of course, in that first circus pic, she's standing on a bench ;)

Nancy said...

That circus looks like a lot of fun! It's been a long time since I've been--about 24 years when we took Chuck and Andrew to a circus in Tacoma. I'll have to keep my eyes pealed to see when a good one will be in Phoenix. Maybe I can take Z.