Saturday, January 29, 2011

Staying Healthy

It seems like everybody at Aurora's school has been sick this week. I've been getting notices about pink eye and the flu, and Ms. Ella told me that kids have been getting so many ear infections that two of her classmates are getting tubes! On Thursday when Aurora came home with a low grade fever, I suspected the worst and made an appointment to see her doctor Friday afternoon. Being the awesome mom that I am, I drugged her with ibuprofen Friday morning hoping it would keep the symptoms at bay at least until after nap - which should give me until about 2 pm. I got the call at 2:05 and by the time I picked her up, she was a miserable mess. I took her to the doctor and we were very relieved to find that her ears look good, her lungs are clear, and it's not the flu - just a cold. Phew!

So, on with our weekend plans. This morning we headed out to One World Theatre for a performance by the Berenstain Bears. Interestingly, the focus of the play was resting when you're sick, exercising, and eating well to stay healthy. Just what we needed.


We've been in Austin for almost 5 years, so it's hard to believe we'd never been here before. One World is less than 3 miles from our house and it's a gorgeous venue. The architecture and view are so pretty, and the stage and seating area so intimate - seeing an actual concert here would be amazing. We'll have to come back for a date night...


So far Aurora is doing much better today. I've been on allergy medication so I wouldn't be surprised if the cedar or mold levels have been getting to her. They say after about 3-years most people in Austin develop allergies. That's how long it took for me, and well - that's about how long she's been here! More likely, it's just hard staying healthy in a school full of sick kids.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear about the allergies and colds. I've had a cold, too. The play sounds cool - glad Aurora's doing better now.

Cheezhead Robin said...

Did you get your flu shots this year? They usually help us. Not sure if kids can get them, but mommy & daddy can.

We have allergies, too.

Cheezhead Robin said...

Like your new wallpaper on your blog, very cool!

Amber said...

Yup - Aurora gets her flu shot, which is probably the reason it was a little cold and not the flu. Chuck and I don't always get them, but she does.

Nancy said...

Glad Aurora is recovering nicely.

People here suffer from allergies, too. Over the years I have been lucky not to get them. I also don't get flu shots and so far have not needed them.