Tuesday, January 18, 2011

I want...

Aurora has officially reached the "I want" phase, which I'm afraid is less of a phase and more just a fact of life. "Mommy, I want to go to the mall. I want to buy something." I probably taught her this, but still. After at least a dozen "I wants" one day last week, I replied "Do you want to know what mommy wants? Mommy wants you to stop saying I want." That didn't go over well.

This weekend I actually got what I wanted! Not only did she lay off the "I want" a little, we got a nice relaxing 3-day weekend. After catching up on errands and cleaning the house, Sunday night we got a sitter and went out to sushi and a movie. We saw Black Swan, which was pretty intense. Monday morning when Aurora woke up, I went into her room and she had to do a double-take. "Mommy, are you here?" Yes. "Is my daddy here too?!" Yes. Apparently she thought we weren't coming back? 

Monday I took her out all day. We had breakfast, went to a bouncy house with friends, took a walk and had ice cream. Then I dropped her off with Chuck and went shopping all by myself. I got to go to the mall, and I got to buy things! Okay yeah, she learned that from me. But I have to say it's nearly impossible to actually try on clothes or shoes with a toddler in tow, so the time alone was pretty great. Afterwards I met up with girlfriends to watch The Bachelor. It was a good night.

Well, until sometime in the middle of the night when I guess two evenings without mommy must've caught up with her, and she decided that she was afraid to sleep in her own bed and quite specifically needed to sleep in my arms for the rest of the night. It was really sweet. It might've been sweeter if I'd actually been able to fall back asleep, but as hard as it is to be sleep deprived, I kind of just wanted to stay snuggled up like that.

The truth is, we want for nothing. Aurora and I are both lucky girls and I'm trying to raise her without spoiling her (too much)!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Aw, that's so sweet that she wanted to sleep in bed with you - she's a sweetie. She's definitely a lucky little girl.

Nancy said...

I think you're doing a good job raising Aurora. It's harder today, I think, because there is so much more out there that children want. They have to learn that they can't have everything without stifling the desire to work and reach for more. Keep up the good job.

I have a tendency to spoil my grandchildren. But isn't that what grandmothers are for?

Cheezhead Robin said...

Will be thinking about the Texas Wadeys while watching a travelogue Friday night on TEXAS!