Thursday, March 12, 2009

Catching up

Not a lot has happened since returning from Vegas. I’ve been spending my evenings catching up on laundry, dishes, and sleep, and Chuck has (of course) been catching up on work. Luckily, daylight savings time has not affected Aurora in a negative way – in fact, after a few weeks of night waking (growth spurt? teething?), she’s back to sleeping through the night. Thank goodness, I needed that!

In the evenings when we get home, I’ve been doing pretty good at sticking to my “no TV or internet until Aurora’s asleep” rule, with one exception; Rora's starting to like Baby Einstein videos! She’ll just plop down with a snack and watch her show. She does prefer to sit on my lap, and if I get up and go into another room she’ll get up and follow me.

Aurora really has become quite the little walker! Her buddy Adelina recently moved up to the next class at daycare, and now Aurora’s the only walker in the Duck’s room. She's not the oldest in her class, in fact, Seth just turned one. But Aurora is walking and running around with confidence these days and no longer doing faceplants. Today it was cold out and I let her walk around with my scarf...

Speaking of turning one… Aurora’s first birthday is just over a month away! I’m starting to think about her birthday and I’m not quite sure what we should do to make it special. Grandma Nancy is considering coming for the party, and I want it to be a really fun weekend, so the question is… what do you think we should we do? The weather should be nice, so we could go to a nearby park, or we could just have cake at our house. Do you have any ideas for fun activities or themes?

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Aw, Aurora looks so cute walking in that scarf! She's just such a cute, happy baby! We love all of you!

Anonymous said...

I definitely think the 1 Year birthday party is for parents and family, not the 1 year old in question. But I like the idea of a park...somewhere that Aurora always has fun! And of course, cake is a must. You'll be treasuring pics of that cake-smeared face for years and years!

Susanna Powers said...

the newborns where I volunteer also like the Baby Mozart dvd, and I enjoy a little bit of it. It drives the nurses crazy to hear it that continuously. love, susanna .. PS, the vegas babies photo of aurora and the fountain was fantastic.

Anonymous said...

Isn't Grandma Nancy coming a party enough in itself??? =) Good weather, good company - Aurora will have a blast no matter what. The most important thing is to catch her in pictures and/or video, demolishing the cake. I think that's what 1st birthdays are all about. =)

Nancy said...

Thanks Jennifer, for the comment about my coming being party enough. It makes me feel very special. However, the birthday girl is really the special one. I think a park would be fun, if it's good weather. Even staying inside would be great too. Just make sure there are plenty of little ones there to enjoy the cake.

Lena said...

You could do it Armenian style. Spend thousands of dollars for a wedding like party, rent a hall and serve food at $60 a head, invite a couple hundred of your closest friends, expect $100 per person in return.

Or, you could take the easy route. Go to the park, stay at home (whatever YOU think is best) with a cake and a few friends with babies of their own, and have a stress-free afternoon with a caring group who won't judge your decision for years to come.

You decide...

Amber said...

Hmmm... I kind of like the idea of people judging my decision for years to come! I think I've decided on a happy medium... an outdoor party at our house, so we have a kitchen and bathroom and all the amenities, but I'll get some cool outdoor stuff so we can play and have fun at our very own "park"! And if the weather doesn't cooperate, no problemo.