Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Happy Birthday to me, Mom & Dad!

It occurs to me that birthdays should really hold more significance to the parents than the child. Not only are they the ones who facilitated the birth, but they most certainly remember the day better than the person celebrating. I was also thinking that perhaps we really don’t need to celebrate past 30. But, I have to say that this was a good one.

Yesterday Ashley told me that on my birthday I can do whatever I want. So this morning I woke up and decided I wanted to bring Aurora to work with me one last time before going full-time. We’re getting our new floors today, so I figured there would be strangers and loud noises in the house, and Chuck may be needed to help move furniture and electronics.

It was a busy morning at work, which made having Rora with me a little trickier than usual, but then Donna and Bailey took me out to lunch. We went to Blue Star Cafeteria and it was yummmmy. I had fried artichoke hearts, smoked trout salad, and the most decadent chocolate cake – definitely worthy of a birthday celebration. Bailey brought flowers, which Aurora and I thought were very pretty, and it looks like the rest of the week will be booked with more birthday lunches with friends. Honestly, a nice lunch and flowers is all I could ask for these days.

Today is also Kelsey's birthday - she's turning 25 (happy birthday!). Bailey just turned 25 last month and her mom sent her a card in which she wrote “Thank you for a quarter century of pure joy.” I hope I can say that to Aurora 24 ½ years from now. Of course, I’ll only say it if it’s true. Her card could say something like “Thank you for a quarter century of misery.” Watch out.

Today after lunch Aurora and I went shopping at Old Navy (thanks Nancy!). We just finished a pizza party with the floor installers (that’s sort of equivalent to a sleepover with friends when you’re 12, right?), and will most likely drink some wine and bake cookies later tonight. Not bad…

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday, Amber. Glad you enjoyed your first birthday as a mom with so many special people. Cheezhead Robin

Unknown said...

Happy birthday. Glad you had a nice birthday.

Anonymous said...

Hope you got my "happy birthday" email sent yesterday. It failed twice when I sent it. I guess I had some added letters in the address. Anyway, the 3rd time should have been a charm.

Glad you had a good birthday. Aurora looks so intrigued with the flowers. Sounds like she had a good day, too. Nancy