Thursday, August 28, 2008

Construction Zone

Today I worked from home and spent the day letting contractors in and out of the house. Some planned, some not so planned.

We’re having work done to the balcony, as the wood rot at the bottom was making it unstable and the beams and handrails were falling apart. Our neighbor across the street said his house was built at the same time as ours, and his balcony “fell down” years ago. Yikes! Once they’re done, we're having the siding replaced as well (more wood rot). Next we'll be repainting... stay tuned for the color-scheme we choose!

As if this wasn’t disruptive enough, we had an A/C water leak earlier in the week which caused damage to our living room floor and the carpet and contents of our coat closet. We had a claims representative out early this morning. Once she decided this would be covered by our insurance, she sent in a water mediation person to take up the floor and dry it out, and a flooring guy to take measurements and samples of the wood and padding. We have a pretty high deductible, and I want to put in a higher quality floor than we currently have, so it won’t exactly be free to fix. But it’ll be nice to have something better than the cheap laminate the previous owners put in. It's something I've wanted to replace since we moved in.

Not only did we have a pick-up truck, a huge trailer, and a van in our driveway – but a school bus broke down outside our house, which caused a lot of excitement. Well, it was exciting for the teenagers on the bus, but not so fun for the bus driver! Another bus had to come rescue the kids. Good thing we didn't have anywhere we needed to go right then...

Aurora spent much of her day napping and grabbing her feet (that’s new!). She was very happy today, but she spit up on me more than any other day I can remember. Maybe all the commotion made her nervous.

The outside workers will be here for about 2 weeks, and I expect it’ll take as long to get the floor situation worked out. So, for now, our house is a big noisy danger zone with construction workers hammering away outside and industrial grade fans blowing inside. Labor Day weekend may slow progress a little, but that's okay. Our laborers deserve a day off.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't envy you all that commotion. I could hardly wait til the rug man finished putting in our living room carpet last Fall. And I was at work most of the time he was there. But what a mess until he was done. Sounds like when everything is finished it will be very enjoyable. Thnik how wonderful it will be when that happens and everyone is gone. Nancy

Daniela said...

Craziness at the Wadey residence! I hope you guys get things wrapped up soon- I'm sure it will be worth it!

Anonymous said...

Wow, you folks are really getting hit with everything at once, which has happened to us, too. An upstairs toilet connection broke, causing water to flood through the ceilings & walls below. We actually had to move out of the house for a month while ceiling, wall boards & flooring were replaced. Yes, it was a mess.

And, insurance companies today reflect it in your future rates for 3 years, even if you change insurance companies. But your home will certainly look more like the way you prefer it with a Wadey touch. Good luck, Cheezhead Robin