Sunday, January 24, 2016

Goal Setting

This week has been intense. Wednesday marked the beginning of our first Girl Scout cookie season. We started with a very modest order, not realizing that the average customer would take 4-8 boxes!!! After less than a week, we've had to go back to the cookie mom twice for more. Our original goal was 36 boxes and we'll be selling more than double that. Pretty cool! The Girl Scout cookie program was designed to help girls develop skills that they will use throughout their lives:

1. Goal Setting
2. Decision Making
3. Money Management
4. People Skills
5. Business Ethics

Aurora is definitely learning 3 and 5, while I'm focusing more on 1 and 2 at this point. It's also a pretty lucrative fundraiser for the Girl Scouts!


I am no stranger to fundraising or goal setting. Last year I set a goal to complete my first half marathon, and today I ran my second - a full 8 minutes faster! Honestly, I haven't trained as well this year, but it was a fast course and my friend Melissa pulled me through those last few miles. We finished right at 2:05, which was my goal time. It was hard, but awesome.


I'm also registered to do the Austin Half Marathon again, which is just a few weeks away. I'll have to keep training to get through it in last year's time, as it's a much hillier course. Melissa will be there, too - but she'll be running the full! She was amazing today and I know she's going to do great. I think I'll stick with this distance for now...

5 comments:

Cheezhead Robin said...


Congrats Amber! Good luck with the cookie sales, Aurora!

Ellen said...

Congrats on your great time on the race! Wow, Aurora's doing great on selling Girl Scout cookies! Such cute pictures!

Unknown said...

Great time for your race!! I am so impressed with how far you have come in your running-Good luck with the Austin Half-you will be awesome!!!!

Julian said...

#5 Business ethics! Hah. Can't I just eat the extra box of cookies? How much of that cash do I get to pocket? This is the first year in a few years that we're not selling GS cookies. Phew! Nice job in your half marathon!

Unknown said...

It was so great to run with you and you were amazing and so helpful to me!