I have to say, the hardest thing about losing my job wasn't the actual losing of the job. It was losing my identity as a longtime LIVESTRONG employee. I felt incredibly connected to the mission, the people, the whole idea of everything LIVESTRONG stood for. I noticed that when people asked me what I did, I said I worked for LIVESTRONG or that I worked in nonprofit - I didn't typically lead with the fact that I worked in HR or managed volunteers and interns. While I was unemployed I had to figure out how to say what I actually did for work and what types of jobs I was looking for, which required me to think about my work in a different way and imagine a wider world of opportunities that I hadn't considered. After much consideration, I decided that I didn't want to continue in nonprofit, but I wasn't particularly interested in most for-profits either. That lead me to search for a new role in the public sector. I was applying for jobs in education but the role I ended up with came in the form of local government. So, this week I started my new position as an HR Specialist focusing on Recruitment for Travis County.
I had to go to jail to get that ID card! The location is good, the salary was right, and the job duties should play to my strengths and give me an opportunity to learn about a whole new segment of the workforce. I hope I'll love this new identity as much as I loved the last one because they also offer great retirement benefits!



2 comments:
Dear Amber, good luck with this new job! and Happy Thanksgiving to all, Love, susanna
We hope the new job turns out great and that you'll love your new identity there, but no matter what happens, you'll always have your identity as our beloved daughter.
Post a Comment