Thursday, June 13, 2013

Change

This week has been all about change. Change is happening at work, it's happening with our families, and yes, even right here in our own home. The biggest blog-worthy baby change? Now that our sweet, toothy little boy is over 10-months old and enjoying all kinds of solid foods...


I've decided it's time to start the gradual process of weaning. We just cut out the after-work feeding and now he's only getting breastmilk 4 times/day; 6am, 10am, 3pm, and 7:30pm. It's good, and he's eating yogurt and fruit and all sorts of other foods to keep his belly full, but it's kind of sad to think that these are the last 2-months I'll ever have (and nurse) a baby! Several of my co-workers have kids who are about 6-months older than Clark and not long ago we all shared the Mother's Room at work.


Now I'm the only one left and I have the place to myself. Pretty soon it'll be empty (well, until the next wave of babies hits). I realize we've firmly entered what Julian considers the TMI-zone, but I did this with Aurora and I'm doing it with Clark too - posting a picture of my frozen milk! I have a good supply to begin with, but for awhile Clark wasn't taking bottles very well and I froze anything he wouldn't take. Pretty soon I'll be cutting out a midday feeding and we've got it covered (no formula for our little guy!). This is just under 50 bags averaging 5oz each. I actually bought a deep freezer off Craigslist during maternity leave anticipating that this might happen. When this stash is gone and Clark is a year old, he'll start drinking whole milk and the freezer will just be for trips to Costco.


Clark wasn't adjusting well when I first cut that feeding out, but he's getting used to it and Aurora loves it. She's much happier that we can go out, make dinner right away, or play together instead of needing to come home and feed him directly after school. It definitely gives us more freedom, so I'm not saying the change is bad. I like change, I can roll with change, and I initiated this change. Time goes by, kids grow up, and we continue to laugh and learn and love, but I'm sure I'll always look back at these last 10-months with baby Clark as being some of the happiest of my life.