Sunday, June 10, 2012

Lessons

This weekend we took Aurora to her first swim lesson at Nitro, a huge new indoor pool facility not far from our house. They have a pretty cool system where kids start at level 1, then depending on skill can move up at their own pace.


In order to pass level 1, kids have to put their heads and ears underwater for 5 seconds. She liked wearing goggles, but in general this was scary and really not so fun for our girl. Her instructor said she was brave and I think next week she'll be at level 2. They just started doing free swim twice a week at her school too, so she'll be getting plenty of pool time.

The more fun and exciting lessons that she learned this weekend happened during our "sibling tour" of St. David's Hospital, where baby brother will be born. It was actually really cool, as we spent the majority of our time in the exact room where Aurora was born!


They showed us all around the maternity ward (including the nursery where we got to see a really cute newborn baby girl), and taught the big siblings how to diaper and swaddle. Aurora got to take home a goodie bag with a baby blanket, cap, diaper, bottle, and more. As soon as we got home she wanted to play doctor and pretended she had just had a baby...


We're 32 weeks along now so this will really be happening before we know it! Well, except for the part about Aurora having the baby. Let's give that another 20-30 years.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a cool thing for the hospital to do! Very cute playing doctor pic!

Cheezhead Robin said...

Chuck looks like a real Doc, and Aurora like an aspiring nurse or Mom, LOL I wonder how she will feel about changing real diapers, LOL?

Sounds like a great educational program by the hospital.

Nancy said...

The hospital tour and lesson is really a great idea. I think it helps siblings feel they are a part of the new baby process and not left out on the sidelines. I love the picture of "Doctor" Chuck. I am glad he is helping orient Aurora into being a big sister.

Nancy said...

I forgot to mention that I think the swimming lessons and swimming are also a great thing for Aurora.
It's good for Aurora to know how to swim, whether or not she becomes a Grandma Nancy Fish.