Monday, October 31, 2011

Halloween

Halloween was not invented by moms. For some reason it made perfect sense when I was a kid, but now it just baffles me every year. We're basically teaching our kids that it's totally acceptable to knock on stranger's doors and beg for candy. You can go into their house and take whatever they have, as long as you're wearing a costume. Obviously.

Don't get me wrong - I'm all for it! We've never had a trick-or-treater at our house, so we were thinking of driving down to another area to beg for treats. Just as we were getting ready to leave, we met Thing 1 and Thing 2, our new neighbors two houses down, and decided to stick with them. Just about every house we went to said ours were the only kids they've had stop by in years - but they all had candy and it was nice to stay on our block and get to know our neighbors a bit better.


Aurora kept reciting Halloween safety tips she'd learned at school and insisted each house only give her one candy. What can I say, she's a stickler for the rules! We also carved a pumpkin this weekend - another tradition not designed by mothers.


She didn't want anything to do with the carving knives, but the girl does love fire. This is the only pumpkin we carved, even though we had three. Chuck refused to help because he "knows what's inside" of pumpkins. Yeah, delicious seeds! Oh well, maybe I'll bake something with the others... I'm not sure I have the skills or ingredients to do it right, but it sounds like a fairly safe, mom-approved activity.

5 comments:

Cheezhead Robin said...

As an adult, I always hate Halloween for the reasons that you mentioned. We always leave the house during the annual event. This year we saw Puss n'Boots in 3D. Awesome graphics with purrrrfect cats, but very long.
Meeeoooowwwww!

Yes, as a kid I always enjoyed getting the candy, LOL.

Susanna Powers said...

I love Halloween & giving out the candy to the little ones. this photo of Aurora looking into the pumpkin is wonderful! love, sp

Anonymous said...

I remember the year when you were Little Orphan Annie and Honey Boo was Sandy. That was a good costume. Glad Aurora met up with the Things and trick or treated in the neighborhood - sounds like a nice thing to do, as long as you follow the rules, of course!

Kate MacKinnon said...

Thing 1 and Thing 2 are fabulous! Honestly I can't remember when I saw someone dress as a Dr. Seuss character! It looks like Rora got a lot of use out of her costume. She looked great, too! I concur - the photo of Rora looking into the pumpkin is amazing. Very artsy and beautiful. Worth framing! If you need any pumpkin recipies, let me know -- I love all things pumpkin!

Nancy said...

What's this about Chuck not wanting to carve a pumpkin? I don't get it.

I can't believe you had no trick or treaters in your neighborhood. They bus them in by the vanloads in my neighborhood, and since I don't feel it's right to have all these kids from other neighborhoods, we just left home and went to see Puss in Boots. When we got back close to 8 oclock, there was still a lot of traffic in our neighborhood from cars coming from everywhere else. I don't like it.