After an emotional week of updates from my mom and Bernice, Grandpa passed away last night, just weeks after his 87th birthday.
This photo was taken just a few short months ago. During the past several years, we were able to visit quite a few times. He showed us around the University of Miami, where he spent over 30 years as an English professor. Aurora got to meet him three times, and he was so happy to spend time with us - such a loving man. I remember him being just as sweet to me when I was little. He'd write letters all the time and would draw a little stick figure of himself with arms reaching all the way up and around the whole paper saying "I love you this much!" He was also very generous. When I finally decided to go back to college, Grandpa & Bernice sent money for books every semester, and that encouragement really helped get me through to where I am today.
Robert Sandler lived a good life and contributed so much to our family and society through his teaching and writing. He will be missed, and our trips to Florida will not be the same...
7 comments:
What a beautiful blog post, Amber, and a great picture. I remember those stick figures very well from the handmade cards my father made me every year on my birthday when I was little. I know he was very proud of you and it was so great that you, Chuck, and Aurora were able to visit him these past few years. We'll all miss him so very much.
I am sorry to hear about your Grandpa. I know you will miss him. I knew him. It sounds like he really enjoyed his grandchildren and great-grandchildren. Thank you for including the picture of him with you and Aurora.
Thanks Amber.
Very sorry to hear about the loss of your grandfather. He sounds like a very special person. Aurora is very fortunate to have spent some time with him. I never had the opportunity meet my grandparents.
I am very sorry to hear he passed away. I was hoping for a much better outcome. My condolences to all the family.
I met Grandpa Sandler just once, at your wedding, but feel I really got to know him through your blogs and pictures. He feels like my grandpa, too. We all will miss him.
Sounds like he lived a long, good life and blessed many people.
I'm so glad you got to see him in September and Aurora had a chance to meet her great grandpa.
I am sorry for your loss. Its wonderful that Aurora was able to spend time with him.
I am so very sorry for your loss and your mom and Bernice's loss. I know you were close to him. I remember meeting him at your wedding, too. A very good, kind man. May the memory of his love and well-lived life help you all through your grief.
I love you,
Kate
Post a Comment