Sunday, December 6, 2009

Tree Time

Today we had nothing on the schedule - just a lazy day at home. It really is beginning to feel like winter around here, with temps dropping low enough to bring a few snow flurries earlier in the week.
We already opened a bunch of Christmas gifts over Thanksgiving, and had debated over whether to put up the artificial tree, buy a real tree, or just leave the house undecorated (which is what we did last year). This morning, it just seemed like the thing to do. We dug out the tree and ornaments, put on some classic holiday tunes, and Aurora helped decorate her first Christmas tree!

I really wasn't sure if she'd help or hinder the process, and ultimately she did a little of both. She really did "get" the idea of hanging the ornaments on the tree - at first putting 4 ornaments on the same branch - then moving around and finding nice places for them. Of course, I put the breakable ornaments on myself, closer to the top of the tree, but that didn't stop her from dropping and breaking a few. If she's anything like her cousin, Lillie, this may end up being her favorite part of the season! Perhaps next year we'll get a real tree.

I decorated a few other areas, pulling out the red table runner, holly place mats, and even a wreath. It's so festive and cozy in here now!

I haven't figured out how to hang our stockings yet, but the Menorah is on the fireplace mantle, ready for use next week! We don't have any grand holiday plans for the rest of the month. No travel booked, no house guests lined up. But I'm looking forward to everything the season has to offer.

5 comments:

Cheezhead Robin said...

Aurora did a great job of decorating the tree, with a little help from mom, LOL!

Wow, Aurora gets to celebrate both holidays, Hanukkah & Christmas, lots more presents to come!

sharon. said...

Your tree looks great Amber! I can't get enoigh of cute little Aurora!!

Nancy said...

Your tree looks good. Aurora looks like she's doing a good job.

Steve got our artificial tree out on Sunday and I decorated it. I'll have to send you a picture, although it looks pretty much like last year's. I put up holiday decorations in the living area and even had Steve buy a wreath for the door. I don't know if we will have any company here to enjoy it, but I sure am enjoying it. " in the air there's a feeling of Christmas."

Anonymous said...

Very nice tree! Aurora's a great little helper. We put our tree up already, too.

Cheezhead Robin said...

Aurora looks like she is getting rather tall, perhaps she could get taller than mom & dad. John was much taller than his parents.