Saturday, May 16, 2009

Biker Gang

This morning Kim, Karen and Mona biked all the way from downtown to the Wadey rest stop, located in the beautiful Texas hill country. We had apple wheat pancakes, hard boiled eggs, blackberries, and fresh juiced grapefruit, oranges and apples. Talk about a classy rest stop!

The gang played with Aurora for awhile before heading back out - just before the most torrential downpour we've had for a good while! It started raining just as Chuck, Aurora and I were finishing up a post-brunch walk through the neighborhood, and I'm pretty sure the girls got wet during their 17 mile ride back into town.

It was the perfect start to what should be a relaxing, low key weekend. These amazing women kept talking about how much they'll be riding, swimming and running this weekend, training for triathlons, etc... me, I'm about to go take a nap!

7 comments:

Cheezhead Robin said...

What has happened to the Amazing Supercat Amber? I guess Aurora must be wearing you out, LOL!

Julian said...

There's a picture of three girls who would kick my butt over the 100 mile LiveSTRONG Challenge distance. But I will make it...and my fund raising has been way more effective than I ever thought it would be! My biker friends call my bike a "tank". I even left the kick stand on just for fun!

Grandma and Grandpa Slane said...

That sounds like a nice way to spend a Saturday. Everyone looks great! Hi, Aurora!

Nancy said...

I wish someone would explain to me how people can ride bikes in the heat--I see it all the time here Arizona. I suspect it's quite hot at this time of the year on a bike in Austin, too. I admire anyone who can ride for one mile in the heat but 17 miles is fantastic. As for me, I'd rather be in a cool pool swimming laps than on a hot bike in the Arizona heat. That rain on the way back to Austin city must have felt good to the bikers if it wasn't coming down too hard.

Amber said...

Nancy, let me first say that it's not only hot here, it's HUMID! This weekend's actually been very cool, but that rain was HARD! Anyway, most of my friends who are athletes try to get their rides and runs in early, before the extreme heat. Then swim in Deep Eddy or Barton Springs, which as you know are pretty cold. Kim usually rides over 100 miles each weekend, and she goes about 20 mph.

Cheezhead Robin said...

Can't relate to the heat issue, we had frost in Cheezland last night, plus very chilly winds with temps in the 50's during the day, LOL!

Kudos to your athletic friends for their efforts, especially in the heat. Perhaps they will be an inspiration for Aurora.

Nancy said...

I am impressed with Kim's riding 100 miles on week ends. Kudos to all the bikers out your way.

As for me, I will stick with the swimming. I figure if I swim a mile 3-4 times a week I'm doing well. The pool in Cottonwood is opening soon so I will be swimming almost every day after that.